Proposed Backup Script Project

Nov 8, 2012 at 11:39 PM

I have dynamic T-SQL backup script that I've been working on ... the intent it to have a nifty way for a DBA to walk into situation where a DB backup is needed and simply connect to the SQL instance pass in a couple of parameters such as whether he want to print the statement, do a restore, do a backup, etc. and then click submit.  The script will determine where to backup and restore from, the logical names, whether there are several filegroups to deal with, etc.

Anybody want to help me work on this?

Nov 9, 2012 at 12:01 AM

As an accidental DBA I found http://ola.hallengren.com/ .  Those scripts do backup, index maintenance and more.

Nov 9, 2012 at 12:02 AM

As an accidental DBA I found http://ola.hallengren.com/ .  Those scripts do backup, index maintenance and more.

Nov 9, 2012 at 1:34 AM

Well that takes care of that.  The "MaintenanceSolution" from that site closely resembles the script I was writing.  It's much better that what I have thus far.  So ... what next.  What do we work so we to can have a "project" to publish as discussed at our inaugural meeting.

Coordinator
Nov 9, 2012 at 12:21 PM

I would say go for it, the solution by Ola Hallengren is good but creating your own might allow you and anyone who helps you to learn something and its yours so you can tweak it to fit what you want.  I'm not suggesting we re work things that already exists but if your idea is different go for it I think there is room for more than one dynamic backup script.

Nov 9, 2012 at 12:50 PM
The TSQL script I have is not yet ready for prime time. It does work but the user would have to be a DBA to use it in its current state. I want the completed product to be such that a novice can use. How do we use this project site, as a team, to work together to further develop/improve shared code. From what It appears that code placed on this site has to be considered a nearly finished product, not raw development scripts.

On Fri, Nov 9, 2012 at 8:21 AM, sfibich <notifications@codeplex.com> wrote:

I would say go for it, the solution by Ola Hallengren is good but creating your own might allow you and anyone who helps you to learn something and its yours so you can tweak it to fit what you want. I'm not suggesting we re work things that already exists but if your idea is different go for it I think there is room for more than one dynamic backup script.

Read the full discussion online.

To add a post to this discussion, reply to this email (SqlScripts@discussions.codeplex.com)

To start a new discussion for this project, email SqlScripts@discussions.codeplex.com

You are receiving this email because you subscribed to this discussion on CodePlex. You can unsubscribe on CodePlex.com.

Please note: Images and attachments will be removed from emails. Any posts to this discussion will also be available online at CodePlex.com

Nov 9, 2012 at 1:25 PM

We could use hallengren's MaintenanceSolution and extend it.  What is that hallengren's solution not doing that you would like to do?  Or can we develop powershell scripts that would implement hallengren's solution a little bit better.

Ideas:

1.  Notifications of error or process did not run.

2.  Create a process to restore random backups and run DBCC check to fully validate backups.

Coordinator
Nov 9, 2012 at 1:31 PM

I like Hallengren's solution but please do not add anyone's code to this project that is not your own.  Hallengrens solution is Hallengren's solution, if you would like to add your own code that does something similar by all means do so, but embedding someones code within our solution without there expressed permission is something we do not want to do.  As for "Prime Time", that is up for interpretation, I don't expect code uploaded to the source to be 100% ready to go, and code that is selected for the release should be in 100% functioning order but that doesn't mean that it would never go through a revision or get updated as the code is improved.  Basically if the code functions and produces the desired results that works, if its not fine tuned to where you want it to be then maybe its not ready for a release but more realistically it might be release ready but it may be improved overtime and get multiple revisions.  Remember just because something goes into the source code in the version control system doesn't mean it will be in the next release.

Nov 9, 2012 at 2:45 PM
I have not used Hallengren's solution but I'm assuming that it does work. I would have to stepping through the Hallengren script to see if it is doing what I had in mind or not. I will have to get back with you on this. I have always worked on my own stuff from scratch. I had never considered formally extending something like this. I've got a lot on my plate as always but I will consider your approach and evaluate this from the perspective that you brought up. Thanks.

On Fri, Nov 9, 2012 at 9:31 AM, sfibich <notifications@codeplex.com> wrote:

I like Hallengren's solution but please do not add anyone's code to this project that is not your own. Hallengrens solution is Hallengren's solution, if you would like to add your own code that does something similar by all means do so, but embedding someones code within our solution without there expressed permission is something we do not want to do. As for "Prime Time", that is up for interpretation, I don't expect code uploaded to the source to be 100% ready to go, and code that is selected for the release should be in 100% functioning order but that doesn't mean that it would never go through a revision or get updated as the code is improved. Basically if the code functions and produces the desired results that works, if its not fine tuned to where you want it to be then maybe its not ready for a release but more realistically it might be release ready but it may be improved overtime and get multiple revisions. Remember just because something goes into the source code in the version control system doesn't mean it will be in the next release.

Read the full discussion online.

To add a post to this discussion, reply to this email (SqlScripts@discussions.codeplex.com)

To start a new discussion for this project, email SqlScripts@discussions.codeplex.com

You are receiving this email because you subscribed to this discussion on CodePlex. You can unsubscribe on CodePlex.com.

Please note: Images and attachments will be removed from emails. Any posts to this discussion will also be available online at CodePlex.com